- Stand up straight and with good posture.
- Exhale deeply.
- Towards the end of your exhale, clench your abdominal muscles so that you’re pulling your bellybutton towards your spine.
- Hold for 45 seconds or more.
- Once mastered standing up, try on all fours for extra resistance, or simultaneously with other ab exercises.
- Try talking while doing this. If you sound like The Godfather, you’re doing it right.
- You should feel the burn around your lower abs after about 45 seconds.
- Do not “suck in”. This exercise is commonly called “the suck in”, but that is a complete misnomer. You must exhale for this to work.
What does this do?
The transverse abdominius muscle is essentially the “corset” of your abdomen. If you work it diligently, you will have a nice, slender waist. This exercise is also used to prevent abs from puffing out, thus creating those ideal, flat abs.